V.E. Schwab's Vengeful

If you've been following my blog for as long as I've had it, constant reader (I thank you), then you'll know how much I loved V.E. Schwab's novel Vicious. The novel's gripping narrative structure, elegant prose, and exquisitely drawn, flawed, but nonetheless sympathetic characters drew me in and kept me in its clutches until the very end.

I read the book for the first time back in August, as a means of getting properly acquainted with Schwab's work. Given, then, that it was still a stand-alone book it seemed like the perfect starting point. So, once I fell for it, I eagerly went and pre-ordered the long anticipated sequel Vengeful.

Image result for Vengeful bookWhen it finally arrived on my Kindle (I read it as an eBook, something I seem to be doing a lot of lately), I eagerly began it--after a hiccup (I had another book to finish first before I could properly start it).

All I knew going into this book when I started were the returning characters, that the story would likely have a similar structure to its predecessor, and one other tidbit: that there were going to be two new, female EOs making their debut in this novel. Their names were Marcella Riggins and June. Beyond that, I simply remained open to what would come.

When our two debuting femme fatales entered the fray of this novel, properly, they immediately took center stage--and that was just fine with me. Marcella in particular held my interest of the two more simply because Schwab gave us more insight into her backstory. And, even though she had the power to rot away anything she touched, I fell for her seductive charms. She was a classic reclamation woman, someone who had put their own dreams and ambitions on hold for the sake of someone else, who finally found the opportunity, motive, and ability to bring those ambitions into the limelight of her life. And she's unapologetic about it. June also peaked my interest as a reader, but not because of what Schwab shows us about her. It's what she doesn't show us that fascinated me. June was a woman who wanted the power to never be hurt again, and she got it--at the cost of her own identity. Marcella, in a way, acts as a role model for her fellow EO, showing her that she shouldn't hide in the shadows of others. But June is reluctant to do that, until the very end of the book. Still, June remains largely an enigma. We get a few hints of what lead to her transformation (including an excellent and apt revenge scene when the two ladies come together for the first time as a force), but we only get hints, blurry images rather than clear pictures.

In addition, we also catch up with familiar faces, five years older and five years more world weary. We get a fuller picture of our old object of "love-to-hate" Eli Ever, the wounded, abandoned, and neglected child Eliot Cardale. Fred Rogers (or Mr. Rogers), once said, "Frankly, there isn't anyone you couldn't learn to love once you've heard their story." Such was the case for me when I learned of Eli's past. Though I still didn't agree with him, and I was rooting for Victor Vale when he entered their joint scenes, I couldn't help but come to understand him. I also felt sympathy for him given that he'd undergone Dr. Moreau-esque torture at that swine, Dr. Haverty (that was one death I was happy to see occur).

My only problem with this book was it felt too short. Unlike it's predecessor, which I felt could've very easily remained a stand alone story, Vengeful feels as if it's missing something. All of the characters still alive at the end are scattered, headed down their own roads, but with the certainty that they'll encounter one another again. And the overarching question left in my mind was, "What happens next?"

Schwab left a number of questions unanswered at the novel's end. Will Victor find a permanent solution to the problem he's facing? Will he somehow reunite with Mitch, Sydney, and Dol? What will the three of them do in the meantime? What'll June do next? Will she go after Sydney? What will EON's next move be? All of these questions dangle in my mind like loose threads just begging to be woven together into another lanyard of a novel.

My one solace is that Schwab indicated that there may indeed be a sequel at some point. That's the good news. The bad news is her projected release day won't be for another five years--which would mark the ten anniversary of the start of the Villains series (that's 2023, FYI)--if it happens. She said in an interview at The Strand bookstore that she wouldn't want to go back if she couldn't top, or at least equal what she's done thus far with the series, just for the sake of writing another sequel.

On that, the two of us agree.

I hate it when writers carry on their series for years just because of the popularity of certain characters or settings. Eventually, the law of diminishing returns kicks in, and the books and the characters suffer So as far as I'm concerned, Schwab can take her sweet time so that when she does (if she does) return to the Villains universe, the result will be just as incredible as the previous two installments.

In the interlude, I'll just find something else to read.

(Check out the video below. It's the Strang talk I mentioned before, in its entirety).




Comments

Popular Posts