An Open Letter to the Junior Senator

On the last day of last year, I did something that, normally, I don't do: I wrote a letter to a politician. The politician in question was the Junior Senator from Missouri, my home state, Josh Hawley. What did I write and why did I write it? (I'm glad you asked.)

Before I get into that though, let me make one thing clear. I didn't vote for Josh Hawley, and, chances are high, unless the Democrats put forward an absolute imbecile to oppose him, when his reelection comes up in three more years, I won't vote him then. Apparently, he's a prime candidate for the Republicans to run for President in 2024, and should he, I won't vote for him then either. The last thing I want is for the second ever President from Missouri to be the Conservative JFK-wannabe Hawley's clearly priming himself to be. Still, he's my representative, which therefore makes me his constituent. 

That also means that, as my representative, he's responsible to me. When you have a grievance with such a person, you have one of two options: air it or remain silent. Qui tacet consentire videtur, goes the maxim of the common law. "He who is silent is taken to agree," or "Silence implies consent."

Given my track record when it comes to offering useless opinions on here, which do you think I chose?

Hawley has been in the news a lot recently. He was one of the main Republican Senators to push for an increase in the direct stimulus checks, an effort that made him an ally of Bernie Sanders. This was a move of which I approved. Too many Americans are still suffering, and cooperation between ideological opponents is necessary in a time of crisis like this. However, more recently, he also announced something that I could not countenance: his intention to oppose certification of the Electoral College votes.

The announcement struck me as being so stupid and pointless that I couldn't help but say something. So, I logged onto his website, and I wrote him a letter. Whether or not he'll read it or heed what I, a single constituent to whom he's responsible, is immaterial. I took the time to address him though, and, thanks to the magic of digital copy and paste, I saved a copy. What you're about to read it verbatim what I said to him.

It's not angry, although the undercurrent's there, nor is it profanity laden. If I had to describe the style, I'd call it politely blunt, or matter-of-fact. So, without further delay, here's what I wrote him:

 

12/31/2020

Dear Senator,

As one of your constituents, I have a few words for you regarding two specific items.

First, I must confess that you and I are very different, politically speaking. Our respective political outlooks are two halves of a Venn Diagram with very little overlap. However, one place we do agree is the need for an increase of the stimulus check amounts.

I want to thank you for your effort in urging the Senate to set aside bipartisanship and move to vote for an increase in the check amounts.

I also want to urge you to continue to push the Senate to move forward with this effort. We need cooperation now, not partisan obstruction because the survival--I repeat, the survival--of the American People. to whom YOU are responsible, is a bipartisan issue. I urge you to push your colleague from Kentucky, Senator McConnell, to cease his obstructive attitude and call for the vote. The people of Missouri, especially, need this help now and such maneuvering is a farcical waste of time.

Now, as for your recent remarks regarding the election, I must say that you quickly depleted the goodwill I and other like-minded folks here in Missouri (we are in the minority, but we do exist), gifted you for your aforementioned efforts.

Should you follow through with your intention to contest the election results in January, I can only imagine that it will not end well either for you or your party.

You must, to somewhat paraphrase George Orwell, face the unpleasant, but nonetheless real, fact that your party, the GOP, lost the presidential election. For you, or any of your fellow Republicans, to continue to forestall the inevitable instillation of Joe Biden as the 46th President of the United States is a waste of time, effort, and energy that you would be better off spending on more productive actions, such as the previously mentioned stimulus increase.

If its reprisal from the sitting President's base that you fear, please don't. They will not abandon your party any time soon. If party health and unity, however, won't sway you, then consider your own self-interest. Your present intended course of action runs you the risk of alienating the support of moderates and independents, should you proceed. This could very well lead to you following the sitting President's example in being a one-term federal politician. It happened to the President, and it could well happen to you.

Consider your course carefully before you act.

Thank you for your time,

Mr. Ian Martinez-Cassmeyer


It's doubtful that Hawley will heed or even read anything I've said, but airing a grievance isn't about getting a result sometimes. Sometimes, it's just about making yourself heard. In divisive times, you have to pick a side. I've said my piece and taken my stand. For me, no matter what comes next, that's important enough. 

Unfortunately, this coming Wednesday, it looks as though that not only will Hawley go through with his plan, but the whole GOP will follow behind him. It's a sad, desperate attempt at undermining the key component that makes our country great: our democratic process. It seems though that the officials we elected are taking it upon themselves to make executive decisions, decisions that go against the will of the majority. January 6th will be a sad day in America. I only hope this country can survive it.

Comments

Popular Posts