Reflections on Free Speech

If you asked me whether or not I believed in free-speech, chances are, the exchange would likely go like this:

"Do you believe in free speech?"
Psychologists: 'There is no alternative to free speech' | Cornell ...
"I have a right to my opinion." 
"Oh, yeah, well so do I."

"Well, I don't have to believe in it. It's the law, and until a new amendment gets passed rescinding some of the absolutes in the first amendment, I don't have to believe in it. It's there."

I know what you're thinking. Okay, Smartass. Thanks for ducking the questions. I play these semantic games a lot with people, and it does drive them nuts. I mainly do it to keep from having to answer sincerely. Before I give a genuine answer, I need time to think about it deeply.


The recent hubbub over the Harper's Letter for defending free speech and ending "cancel culture" did get me thinking. For this whole week, I've thought about, read into, and considered this issue from every angle from which one could possibly view it.

As a writer, the freedoms of speech and of the press as set forward in the constitution of this Country (the US), are inherently important to me--out of pure unadulterated self-interest. Keeping the vistas as open as possible is what enables me to say things like this:

"Donald Trump is a Disgrace to the office of the President, and while the office deserves respect, it's current occupant deserves nothing but ridicule."

Now, all I have to worry about is a few Trumpster trolls taking umbrage at my sentiment. (I'm kidding. I don't have to worry about that because Trumpsters don't read.) 

However, I also recognize how easy it's abused and how truly "not absolute" this right is. 

When people use their ability to speak freely and publicly to encourage the diminishment of other people based on their race, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other point of identity, it is simply intolerable. Yet, we as a society feel we must tolerate it because of the existence of the Amendment. But tolerating something isn't the same thing as condoning it, as any closeted bigot can attest. 

At the moment, despite the best efforts of certain figures in the Capitol, American society is moving towards more open and welcoming one, especially towards LGBTQ+ people. For weeks, protestors have taken to the streets to demand justice and dissolution of police departments in the wake of George Floyd's death. Even more so, old grievances  over Confederate General statues on display in public areas have reemerged, and again the results speak for themselves. These changes, to my mind, are all positives.

But there are plenty who disagree. 

In truth, if you look at our history as a country, you will see a myriad of occurrences where people's right to free speech and assembly were infringed upon, and often it was the "powers that be" at the time who carried out these infringements. Near the beginning of this country's history, the Adams administration passed the Alien and Sedition Act, making any criticism of the government punishable by imprisonment. The images of protestors being attacked by police officers with billie clubs, police dogs, and fire hoses during the Civil Rights marches are part of the national record. Long before that, KKK rallies and lynchings to silence any perceived indiscretion by African Americans. In effect, these efforts are a form of state-sponsored domestic terrorism; that they occurred, and in some cases, continue to do so, only shows that we don't take the 1st Amendment as seriously as we think.

As I said though, things are changing. The cries of the masses are no longer being ignored, and society seems to be heading in a progressive direction. These bad, old ideas, however, continue to have champions, who now hide behind the feeling of being oppressed and denied their right to speak.

"Do I believe in freedom of speech?" 

My answer is an unequivocal yes

That said, freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences for any thought I express. There are likely people out there who will chastise me for taking this viewpoint, but I accept that reality. Others also must as well. 

If you are going to spend your life espousing sentiments that multitudes of people take umbrage with, then you have no right to be surprised when they attack you for it.

If you are going to spend your life espousing sentiments that multitudes of people take umbrage with, then you have no right to be surprised when institutions, who do not concur with your ideas, rescind invitations for you to speak. 

If you are going to spend your life espousing sentiments that multitudes of people take umbrage with, then you have no right to be surprised when people sever associations--either personal or business--with you because they don't want others to view them as accessories to your hate. 

This country partly prides itself on individual liberty, but with that liberty also comes individual responsibility. If you want to express yourself, then you better damn well be ready to defend everything you say or write. Before you hit send, before you decide to make that statement, you better have considered what it might bring your way; whether or not you're prepared, it will come. As the old parental wisdom goes, "Think before you speak." 

Comments

Popular Posts