The Revision Diaries: Episode 2

 Hello Funny People. I think it's time I clued you into what's been going on in my world since last I communed with you. 

I'm still slogging my way through the first round of revisions of my novel. Part III is turning out to be as much of a pain in the ass to revise as it was to write the first time around. 

Part of this is due to my recent technical difficulties that I've had. My trusty old laptop became no longer "travel safe." The old girl is falling apart. So, she's been relegated to at-home use only, and I'm still hunting for one good enough to replace her. As a result, I'm not getting to my office away from home (the library) like I'd prefer, but I've acclimated to writing at home again. 

However, machines aside, I was having issues with part three as well. I ended up stopping progress altogether for a little while right around Chapter 55 & 56. I could tell something was wrong, and I just couldn't move forward. But I couldn't figure out what was wrong at first. Until about a week ago, it hit me. I'd switched viewpoints too soon between chapters. So, I re-revised Chapter 55 by adding about 600 words to what I already had, and that enabled me to cut what was then Chapter 56 completely. The story flowed better, and I was able to keep making progress. There's at least 7 more scenes (each of which might take a chapter to apiece, or not, we'll see), from where I am now in the story to the end of this section. After that, only 2 more parts to go.

In the meantime, I've also been hard at work on a lot of short stories for various submission calls. Let me tell you about some of them. 

The most pressing is the reopening of the audio/online magazine, PodCastle. After closing their submission portal for quite sometime, they're set to reopen on March 1st. Thankfully, I have at least one story in reserve that might work for them. (Actually, that's a lie. I have three, but one of them is is reserve for another call that I plan on submitting it to.) As soon  as I get a second set of eyes to have a look at the piece, it'll be ready to send their way.

The second, and probably even more ambitious, is a submission call from one of the great writers and anthologists of our time, Jonathan Strahan. A while back, he edited a book titled The Book of Dragons, a fantastic anthology of dragon-centric fantasy stories. His new project is The Book of Witches, which is to be the same concept, but with Witches. This window is only open to BIPOC writers, and there are only 3 slots available in the book, as more established authors will make up the remainder of the authors. It's unlikely I'll get into this book, but I'm still preparing a submission for it. Don't try, don't get.

Finally, a double call. Dark Matter Magazine announced a trilogy of books they plan on putting out in the near future. They're all mash-up genre anthologies that mix horror (their forte), with something else. The two I have in my sights are the Monstrous Futures and Monstrous Lairs anthologies, which are to be mash-ups of horror with science fiction and horror with fantasy. I don't have much experience writing stuff that's purposefully scary, but the other genres I can do. (The fantasy one is actually already prepped, save for needing some feedback, but I am at work on the sci-fi tale.)

That's where I'm at right now, Funny People. I'll keep you posted as new things come up. In the meantime, stay safe, stay healthy, and take care.

Comments

Popular Posts