V.E. Schwab's Shades of Magic Series

I finally finished reading V.E. Schwab's Shades of Magic series. By that, I mean, that I finally finished the last book, A Conjuring of Light. A couple of years ago, I got about 50% through the book and then stopped for some reason. (I was probably going through a period of depression, and when that happens, I lose interest in damn near everything.) However, at long last, I returned to it. 

It's a credit to Schwab's lyrical, yet simple style that, when I opened the book where I'd left off, I was immediately sucked back into the story as if I'd put the book down just the other day. For several nights, all I could do was read, wanting to know what would happen next. I don't have either of these experiences with every writer, but when I do, I cherish it.

Many readers, I think, who enjoyed this series did so because of Schwab's incredible ability to create engaging, complicated characters. Yes, the plot is incredibly high-stakes and fun, and the setting is vividly draw such that most would want to climb through the window of the book and live there forever. For me, though, the strength of the characters' personalities is what kept me going once I was back into the story.

Having read several of Schwab's books, the fates of many of the characters didn't surprise me. She's never been afraid of letting any of her characters die, even ones who are decent people. Even major characters who, in the hands of another writer (maybe with the exception of Joe Abercrombie or George R.R. Martin), would have plot-armor. The endings, however, were fitting, although not every character got what they wanted, many of them got what they needed.

The bittersweet nature of the ending, where many of the characters have lost much, yet still embrace what they have, is also wonderfully done. I've always found these sorts of endings to be the most satisfying in storytelling, the most true to life. The "happily ever after" endings of sanitized fairy tales, as well as the dark depressing endings of tragedies, have always rung false to me. Happy endings are too temporary, as are tragic ones. As long as you're alive, pain of loss and sadness linger, but there is nonetheless always hope for things to get better. It's clear, from the ending of Shades of Magic, that Schwab knows this.

In interviews that I've seen, Schwab has indicated that there will be more stories in the world of Arnes and Red London. We only got a glimpse of this world in these three books, and I'm thoroughly looking forward to what she does next. It's clear we haven't seen the last of Kell, Lila, or the rest of our these characters, but what comes next, I have no idea. But, considering Schwab's inventiveness, I have no doubts it will be unique.

Comments

Popular Posts